What is education?

In schools we teach – we spend so much time in gathering and organizing information, so that students can know, and this knowledge is important for them to earn their livelihood. Yet, is this what the child is learning in the classroom? Maybe 30% is information in the form of Math, Science, History. What is the other 70%? The child is learning what the teacher is. His mind is unconsciously absorbing how the teacher behaves, what she rewards and punishes, how she manages her anger, fear, anxiety, jealousy. So have we learned to manage our own anxiety, anger, fears? If not, then what are we teaching the children? I am the same as my students.
Indian sages, thousands of years ago, defined education as “that which frees”. The insight and awareness that frees you from being slave to these emotions, is true education.

Advertisements
Next Post
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: